As a child develops, one of the first things parents begin to feel concern about is their child’s oral health. Dr. Sue Liebman of Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics near Boerum Hill, NY is often asked if a child may eventually need orthodontic attention, what the signs are to look for, and at what age should a child begin treatment. No two cases are the same. Dr. Sue Liebman has the answers to a few of the most important questions that you may have like when should I start taking my child to the orthodontist.
When Is it Best to Begin Treatment?
In many cases, orthodontic issues can be detected early in life. The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that all children get a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7. During your child’s examination or treatment, your orthodontist can:
- Spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while baby teeth are still present, to diagnose and treat problems that might arise in the future.
- Diagnose a problem that only an orthodontist, like Dr. Sue Liebman, is able to detect. While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be clues to future issues.
- Identify a developing problem that isn’t noticeable by a general dentist’s exam. The doctor will likely recommend monitoring the child’s growth and development, and if indicated, begin orthodontic treatment at a time that is appropriate for the child. In other cases, the orthodontist might find a problem that can benefit from early orthodontic intervention.
- Prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age less time consuming and complicated.
A Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics associate says that, in some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing, thus preventing orthodontic treatment later in life. Early treatment will give your orthodontist the chance to:
- Guide the jaw’s growth correctly
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct careless or harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and confidence
- Grow permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Because patients differ in physiological development and treatment needs, the orthodontist’s goal is to provide each patient with the most appropriate treatment for them at the most appropriate time in their lives. Dr. Sue Liebman says that through an early orthodontic evaluation, you’ll be giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile! Even if your child is older than age 7, it is never too late for a thorough examination with Dr. Sue Liebman and the team at Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics.
What are the first steps?
Dr. Sue Liebman and the team will examine your child and discuss which options are best suited to correct their orthodontic issues. Once you have agreed on the appropriate treatment plan with Dr. Sue Liebman and the amazing staff at Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics, you will be on the road to the healthy and gorgeous smile you have always wanted! We invite you to call Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics to learn more about orthodontic treatment for children near Boerum Hill, NY at: 718.622.6741
Tags: braces near beorum hill, Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics, child orthodontist, child to orthodontist, Dr. Liebman, Dr. Sue Liebman, invisalign near boerum hill, orthodontist in brooklyn, orthodontist near boerum hill, taking my child to orthodontist, when should take my child to orthodontist