Orthodontic patients near Boerum Hill, NY are looking to the team at Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics to treat their orthodontic issues with Invisalign clear aligners. Dr. Susan Liebman knows that the appropriateness of treatment with Invisalign must be based on the individual patient’s needs and treatment outcome goals. If Invisalign is right for you, here is what you’ll need to know before choosing an Invisalign treatment near Boerum Hill, NY.
1. Traditional braces cannot be removed. Traditional braces are an interconnected system of brackets and wires that are affixed to your teeth. These are worn by the patient for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Because they can’t be taken out by the patient, proper precautions must be made for eating to avoid damaging the braces. Physical activity, like participation in sports, may also expose the braces to damage.
2. Invisalign can be removed. Invisalign clear aligners are removable by the wearer for eating, brushing, and flushing and for cleaning the appliance. Invisalign needs to be worn consistently and conscientiously so that it can work, however, and not wearing the aligners can cause complications and delays in treatment.
3. Traditional braces are made of metal brackets and wires. Metal braces are stable and effective for orthodontic treatment. They are not easily broken and can withstand much wear and tear. However, the sides (or wings) of the brackets can irritate the soft tissues of the mouth.
4. Invisalign aligners are made of plastic. Invisalign aligners are strong, medical-grade, thermoplastic trays that are made to fit snugly around your teeth and move them into the precise positioning they require. They cause less discomfort than traditional braces, although they might not be as effective as traditional braces in more serious cases.
Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics near Boerum Hill, NY, helps all their patients make the best decisions about their conditions and their treatment. To schedule an appointment, call Dr. Susan Liebman and the team at Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics today at: 718-622-6741
Dr. Susan Liebman and the team at Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics provide orthodontic treatment for kids with braces near Boerum Hill, NY. They know just how to help ease your kids anxiety about orthodontic treatment with braces and to enjoy their visits.
Your child may experience some anxiety about going to visit their orthodontist. Dr. Susan Liebman knows how to turn your child’s orthodontic treatment experience into a fun one. Kids can always find thrills in new experiences!
Here are five suggestions from the team at Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics to help get your children excited for orthodontic treatment with braces.
- Offer your child a treat once they’re through with their orthodontist visit. A trip to the park or a picnic lunch are fun activities that can be associated with a child’s orthodontic visits, and will help them look forward to their appointments and give them the incentive to take their treatment seriously.
- Accompany your child while they are in the exam room during treatment, if the orthodontist allows it, and hold their hand for comfort. As an alternative, give them a little trinket or stress ball to squeeze to remind them that they’re not alone.
- Get your child excited for their new smile. Take photographs of their treatment progression to help illustrate to them their continuing improvement. After they’re finished with treatment, they’ll finally have a shiny and new set of straight teeth. Make sure they know that the result is worth the effort.
- Color their braces! Many orthodontists offer a wide palette of colored elastics for their patient’s braces. Whether it’s school colors, holiday themes, or just one single shade, Dr. Susan Liebman says that having these choices will excite them about and involve them in their treatment.
- Help them relax. Play music they like, give them a snack for the ride, or make some quiet time for them to relax. Sometimes, the best stress-reducing opportunity is on the ride between home and your orthodontist. Once you get to your orthodontist’s office, allow your child some more fun downtime before they go into the exam room. Let them know you understand their fear and that is natural to feel that way. Remind them that the short time they spend at the orthodontist is nothing compared to the rest of their day or even the rest of their week.
Parents already know what a challenge it is to help their children develop into healthy adults. By taking action with one or more of these tips from Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics, you can instill in your child the motivation to visit the orthodontist and appreciation for good oral health care habits.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Susan Liebman, call Brooklyn Heights Orthodontics near Boerum Hill, NY at: 718-622-6741